Oberstein Castle was built at the beginning of the 14th century by the Masters of Daun-Oberstein and notified for the first time in 1330.
The castle had its florence during the regency of Wirich IV.of Daun-Oberstein who rebuild the castle as a palace. The masters of Daun-Oberstein lived in the castle until 1624.
The predecessor, Wilhelm Wirich (Mülheim-Broich) und his sons in law took over the castle. Their officials lived in the castle and administrated the property.
The reunion wars brought the occupation of the castle by French troops of Louis XIV until 1697. At the end of the 18th century the left Rhine area was occupied by Napoleons revolutionary troops and they sold Oberstein Castle to families from Oberstein, who lived there until the great fire in 1855.A slow but steady disaggregation of the castle ruin started, boosted by the move-out of the youth hostel in 1956. When the eastern wall collapsed and fell into the Oberstein valley, citizens of Idar-Oberstein gathered, founded the Club and started the reconstruction. It took several years to get rid of the debris and to reconstruct a couple of rooms.
In 2008 and 2009 the southern and eastern wall showed up some deep cracks and had to be sanified and secured. Therefore, a huge gantry was installed.
In 2013 and 2014 a modern zinc plate roof was installed to protect the new rooms against weather. Prior to these works, hard discussions in the population and the city council were fought about the intended project. In the end, all of them had to bow down for the guidelines of monument conservation authorities.
The inner rooms and the patio - covered by a glass roof - are inviting the visitor for a stay.